To ensure quality standards for used vehicles imported into Fiji, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) is now requiring all used vehicles exported from Japan to be pre-inspected by the Japan Export Vehicle Inspection Centre (JEVIC).
Inspections in Japan will commence from July 15th. The inspection fee is FJ$169.00 (VEP), approximately ¥8,700 per vehicle, payable to Japan Export Vehicle Inspection Centre (JEVIC) in Japan.
However for locations outside the main port areas (Yokohama, Kawasaki, Nagoya, Kobe, Osaka, and Moji) a travel fee may apply.
The inspection shall be in accordance with the inspection criteria as stated below:
- Structural - to identify structurally non-compliant vehicles with significant damage / corrosion / fire / flood;
- Odometer - verified against vehicle and export certificate;
- Stolen vehicle - verified against vehicle and export certificate;
- Euro 4 - verified against vehicle and the three (3) letter model code on the export certificate to meet the Japan 05 standard (new long-term regulations (2005));
- Emission check - visual only using Land Transport Authority (LTA) 10 second rule;
- Translation - case by case for investigations purposes;
- Photos (12) as per the JEVIC appraisal certificate;
- Appraisal certificate provided;
- Biosecurity inspection for gross contamination only.
It is advised that from August 15th, 2016, no used vehicle imported from Japan will be allowed to enter Fiji and be registered unless it has been inspected by JEVIC and has appropriate documentation.
THIS MEANS, NO JEVIC INSPECTION, NO REGISTRATION IN FIJI AFTER AUGUST 15th 2016.
Importers of used vehicles shall pre-determine the vehicle import timeline and receive the JEVIC inspection prior to shipment in order to ensure that these deadlines are not violated.
You are kindly advised to co-operate with JEVIC who will arrange with vehicle exporters to conduct inspections at freight forwarders and exporter premises in and around the main used vehicle export ports in Japan.
For further information from JEVIC, you can contact: Japan Export Vehicle Inspection Centre Company Limited via Telephone: (045) 521-8527 or Facsimile: (045) 521-8510. You can also visit the JEVIC webpage online on: www.jevic.com.
For further information from LTA, you can contact the Standards and Engineering Department via email on Standards@lta.com.fj or via telephone on 3392166.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER